Traffic and Parking

Kirkwood’s traffic and parking regulations are based on the Code of the State of Iowa. As the College has a variety of locations, local laws and ordinances also apply. Students, faculty, staff, and guests are expected to comply with these regulations.

Traffic and parking violations such as speeding, failure to stop at a stop sign, reckless driving, and parking illegally are not permitted.

The majority of parking spaces on campus are to be used on a first come, first serve basis. Students, faculty, staff, and guests may park in any of the non-designated parking areas.

Reserved Parking

The following areas are reserved and are clearly marked:

  • Disability (handicap) spaces are reserved for those vehicles that display valid State of Iowa Disability Identification. For additional information on the State of Iowa Persons with Disabilities Parking Law, click here.
  • Visitor spaces designated for campus guests. These spaces are not to be used at any time by faculty, staff, or students.
  • Kirkwood issued permit parking spaces. All vehicles parked in these spots must correctly display a valid Kirkwood issued parking permit they have been issued. See information below for additional information.
  • Expectant Mother Signage – reserved for expectant students and others who bring small children to campus.
  • Park & Ride – Located on the northwest end of Linn Hall parking lot, reserved for Park & Ride commuters.
  • Overnight Parking - Vehicles are not be left on campus overnight. Exceptions may be made by contacting Public Safety.
  • Other specially designated parking spaces. Examples of these reserved spaces are Service Vehicles, Maintenance.

Kirkwood Issued Permit Parking

Kirkwood has special permit parking spaces available. The designated spaces are available on a temporary basis only. A Kirkwood issued permit must be displayed to park in these locations.

Examples of circumstances which may qualify for special parking are:

  • Temporary disability which limits mobility
  • Pregnancy
  • Medical Conditions
  • Travel between buildings with limited time between classes

Public Safety maintains records of vehicles authorized to park in reserved spots including the name of the requester, vehicle and permit information. Vehicles parked in reserved spots without authorization, outside the time frame, or with an expired permit, are subject to a fine as noted below.

The responsibility of finding a reserved space lies with the permit holder. Possessing a permit for a reserved parking space or requesting a reserved spot, does not guarantee the availability of a preferential parking space. In the event a reserved space is not available, a reserved permit does not allow preferential parking. Reserved permit holders may park in open, non-designated parking spaces at any time.

Reserved parking permits are the property of Kirkwood and may only be used by the permit holder. It is the responsibility of the permit holder to notify Public Safety of any relevant changes to their information on file, including but not limited to change of license plate, change of vehicle, or temporary use of an alternate vehicle. In the event a permit is lost, a replacement permit will be issued at the cost noted on the Administrative Fees Chart.

Warnings & Violation Notices

Warning notices will be issued by Public Safety whenever possible. Violation notices or tickets will be issued when the warning notice has been ignored or the violation is significant. Continual disregard of warnings and tickets may result in a vehicle being towed.

The city where the campus is located may also issue parking and/or moving violation tickets.

Administrative Fee & Violation Appeal Process

Administrative fees will be charged for violations. Administrative fees for violations will be considered the same as any other debt owed to the college. See the Administrative Fees & Violations Chart for cost.

If a ticket is received, students, faculty, staff, and guests must do one of the following:

  • Pay the fee at the Student Services office, third floor, Iowa Hall.
  • Mail the fee to Kirkwood in the envelope provided.
  • Submit an appeal form within 5 days. Appeal forms may be obtained and completed at Administrative Fee/Violation Appeal