Cedar Rapids Location
2008 Iowa Hall
Iowa City Location
101 Iowa City Credit Center
To assure that students whose first language is not English are prepared to complete college-level coursework, proficiency in English must be demonstrated. These students, including graduates of American high schools, international students, permanent residents, refugees and U.S. citizens, can demonstrate English language proficiency by earning one of the following:
- ACT composite scores of 18 or higher with English sub scores of 18 or higher.
- SAT writing scores of 430 or higher.
- Standard TOEFL paper-based scores of 500 or higher or Internet-based equivalent scores of 63 or higher.
- IELTS scores of 5.0 or higher.
- Kirkwood English Language Acquisition (ELA) placement scores of Level Six.
Note: All test scores must be earned within the two years prior to applying to the college.
Students may not register for non-ELA credit classes until they complete, or are completing, Level Five of the ELA course of study. Exceptions may be made for students who plan to study Industrial Technology majors. ELA coursework is intended to provide developmental preparation for other college credit classes.
Nine elective credits are awarded for Elements of Writing, Effective Reading Strategies, and Fundamentals of English Grammar.
Students who do not plan to take credit classes, but want to obtain the basic English language skills and knowledge necessary for employment and self-sufficiency, should contact 319-784-1510 (Cedar Rapids), 319-887-3967 (Iowa City), or 319-653-4655 (Washington).