Public Safety officers patrol the main campus, respond to emergencies and other calls for service on all campuses, conduct traffic checks, walk through campus buildings, staff special events, and facilitate a variety of safety and security presentations.
Public Safety officers may ask persons for identification to determine whether they have legitimate business at the college. Public Safety officers have the authority to investigate offenses involving rule violations and to make a referral to the appropriate area of the college.
Public Safety officers do not possess arrest powers and do not carry firearms. Criminal incidents are referred to local law enforcement who have jurisdiction on campus. Public Safety maintains a highly professional working relationship with law enforcement. Anyone who is the victim of, or witness to a crime is strongly encouraged to report the crime immediately to Public Safety and local law enforcement.
Services (offered 24 hours a day, 365 days a year at the Cedar Rapids Main Campus):
- Enforcement of college, as well as local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
- Escorts on main campus.
- Unlocking and jump starting of vehicles on main campus.
- Monitoring and enforcing of traffic regulations.
- Emergency response.
- Member of Threat Assessment Team.
- Blue-light emergency phones located throughout campus.
- Safety and security presentations.