All Study Abroad students will be compliant with the rules and regulations of Study Abroad at Kirkwood as set forth in the Study Abroad Student Contract and other Study Abroad procedures in place in Global Learning. For semester abroad programs, refer to the Global Learning office policy and procedures.
Student groups must follow the following procedures:
- Complete the Study Abroad online application to be considered for participation in the program.
- Once accepted, the Kirkwood Community College Study Abroad Student Contract must be completed and signed acknowledging the risks and obligations of the student. The Study Abroad Student Contract must be signed by the student and clearly outlines all student expectations in detail.
- Participants in an approved study abroad program must be enrolled in academic credit. Participants traveling in a non-study abroad experience will receive an itinerary and program expectations outlined by the faculty/staff leader in conjunction with Global Learning.
- All students are responsible for full payment of tuition and program fees related to the travel program. For Study Abroad, program fees are inclusive of international airfare, some program-related expenses, and international health and travel insurance. Some personal travel expenses, activities and meals will be at the student’s additional expense during travel.
- Students must participate in all scheduled activities as directed by the faculty leader and program itinerary. Students are to remain within a 30-mile radius of the faculty leader for the duration of the program and are not to partake in unscheduled activities that cross international borders or that would place them outside of this 30-mile radius for program management purposes.
- Students are required to attend all appropriate pre-departure orientations and post-program debriefings.
Students agree to abide by the Kirkwood Community College Student Conduct Code at all times. Failure to comply may result in dismissal from the program.
The Student Conduct Code applies to students who are participating in travel activities. Alleged student conduct violations occurring during travel will be adjudicated according to the procedures described in the Student Study Abroad Contract and may ultimately result in the student being sent home at their own expense. In such cases, the faculty leader will notify the appropriate administrator at Kirkwood of the alleged misconduct. Disciplinary proceedings will be determined by the faculty leader, Global Learning, the Study Abroad Emergency Team and the Dean of Students. Such decisions will be made on a case-by-case basis.